This is the "Timeline 1910-1919" page of the "University of Detroit: a history" guide.
Alternate Page for Screenreader Users
Skip to Page Navigation
Skip to Page Content

University of Detroit: a history  

Last Updated: Feb 8, 2017 URL: http://libguides.udmercy.edu/content.php?pid=682559 Print Guide RSS UpdatesEmail Alerts

Timeline 1910-1919 Print Page
  Search: 
 

Roll of Honor

Students Drill 1917

Timeline 1910-1919

1910:

September 10: A holiday was declared to celebrate the fact that enrollment had reached 300.

 

1911:

January 14: A new charter from Lansing arrived, changing Detroit College to University of Detroit.

October 1: By this date nine students had registered for the new engineering course. J.R. McColl was the first dean.

 

1912:

October 1: By this date 21 had registered for the new law course. Judge  George S. Hosmer was the  first dean. Law was the first co-educational department of the university.  The U of D Law Review begins publication.

 

1913:

November 1: The first appearance of a U of D student band.  The players, engineering students dressed as clowns, played at a football game in which U of M defeated U of D 39-3.

 

1914:

April 14: First Junior Hop held at Knights of Columbus Hall. 204 couples attended. Grand March led by Professor Strassburg.

 

1915:

The first women are admitted to the law school.

March 8: Steam shovels begin excavating for the engineering building (Dinan Hall) at 630 E. Jefferson.  The building cost about $160,000 to build and equip.

 

1916:

September: Arts and Sciences, Law and Engineering move into the new engineering building.

Women are admitted to the C & F School.

October: Commerce and Finance begins as a night school. John A Russell is the first dean.

The first fraternities to be recognized by the faculty: Delta Theta Phi and the Magi founded.

 

1917:

October 1: St Catherine’s student chapel begun. To make room for it, the old Solality Chapel, erected in 1855 is demolished.

 

1918:

January 30: The Varsity News begins as a bi-monthly. Paul V, Kennedy, first editor.  The literary magazine “The Tamarack” had suspended publication the year before.

Detroit Union organized. Irving Soleau, first president.

The engineering fraternity, Tuyere, begins with nine members.

Alpha chapter, Sigma Kappa Phi, organized under the name “Commerce and Finance Club” with 24 charter members.

February 11: The entire student body is vaccinated for smallpox, due to the fact the editor in chief of the Varsity News has been quarantined since February 7th at home with the disease.

September: S.A.T.C. begun.

December 16: The Students Army Training Course is disbanded.

 

1919:

May: Delta Alpha Phi begins at U of D.

June: It was announced at commencement that Greek would no longer be a compulsory subject.

September: Varsity News changed to a weekly under editor Roy C. Hayes.

First regular U of D band organized with Frank Deschaine as director.

Thirty men (mostly non-students) appear in blue and black uniforms at football games.

December 15: Mu chapter, Gamma Eta Gamma, founded.

December: First U of D sorority established, Eta Zeta Sigma, in the C & F School.

Tamarack

Honors

Description

Loading  Loading...

Tip