This is the "Timeline 1877-1899" page of the "University of Detroit: a history" guide.
Alternate Page for Screenreader Users
Skip to Page Navigation
Skip to Page Content

University of Detroit: a history  

Last Updated: Feb 8, 2017 URL: http://libguides.udmercy.edu/content.php?pid=682559 Print Guide RSS UpdatesEmail Alerts

Timeline 1877-1899 Print Page
  Search: 
 

First Building

University Seal

1897 Football Team "Tigers"

Timeline 1877-1899

1877:

April 5: Bishop Borgess transfers his cathedral church and residence at Jefferson and Antoine to the Jesuits, who in turn agree to found and maintain a college in Detroit. The cornerstone to this church was laid June 29, 1834.

June 3: Rev. John B. Miege, S.J., former bishop of Missouri and vicar apostolic of all the territory between the “United States and the Rocky Mountains” is appointed first president.

June 16: The first college building (the Trowbridge residence at 630 E. Jefferson) purchased for $21,500.

September 3: Sixty pupils enrolled. The first to register was W.J. St Aubin. The first faculty consisted of a president, vice-president, and three professors. The college began with high school classes only.

October 3: Acolythical Society founded.

November: Students library begun with one hundred volumes.

 

1878:

June 27: First commencement exercises were held at Merrill Hall.

September 20: Philomathic Society established.

 

1880:

June 26: Reverend G, Walsh, S.J. installed as president.

December 29: The first play “Elmo, the Druid Martyr” staged at the Detroit Opera House, George Parker in the leading role.

 

1881:

April 27: Detroit College incorporated under the laws of Michigan.

July: first extra-mural baseball game. Detroit College defeats Parke, Davis, and Co. 11-7 at Campeau and Fort St.

 

1883:

January 16: Students were admonished not to go skating on the Detroit river because it was too dangerous.

 June 28: First A.B. degrees awarded. Commencent exercises were held at the Detroit Opera House. The members of the first graduating class were: John A. Russell, Thomas C. McKeogh, James E. Lacroix, William H. Reaney, Conrad Sporer, Benjamin A. Nolan, James W. Kearns.

December 16: Sodality organized. Rev. Edwin Kelly, S.J. first director.

 

1885:

February 12:  John A. Russell files for a M. A. degree, the first in the history of the university.

May 5: The opening of a new College Museum was announced. It was situated in the new Collegiate department, the house on the north side of Jefferson, between the Moran and Griffin residences.

May 29: The physics and chemistry classes were tranfered to the Collegiate department building.

July 8: Father John P. Frieden S.J. becomes president of the university.

 

1887:

September:  Enrollment is 240 students.

December 27: James D. Foley S.J. installed as the sixth president of the university.

 

1888:

 November 20: Alumni Association organized by President Michael Dowling, S.J.

1889:

August 9: Excavations begin for Dowling Hall.

October 17:  Two students were caught forging notes of leave and were soundly whipped for it.

 

1889:

Faculty decide that scholastic reports should no longer be entrusted to the students, but should be mailed home to make certain that the reports reach the parents.

March 16:  New president Rev. M.P. Dowling. S.J. arrives.

1890:

June 24: Last assembly of students in the original building.

September 1: Classes open in newly completed building at 651 E. Jefferson.

 

1892:

October: First public appearance of the newly adopted colors—red and white.

October 1:  The number of student enrolled was 278.

November 14: A dramatic club was organized by Rev. Magivney.

1893:

June 9:  It was found that some prize essays had been copied from books. All who were guilty of such practices where called on to withdraw their essays at once; 15 of the 25 essays were withdrawn, changing at least two of the gold metals awarded.

December 28: Reverend Henry A. Schaapman S.J. installed as president.

 

1896:

November 26: First intercollegiate football game. St Ignatius College ( now Loyola University, Chicago) defeated Detroit College in Detroit on Thanksgiving.

 

1897:

January 16:  Henry Whipple Skinner presented designs for a debating metal.

March 25:  A committee of students is selected by the faculty to discuss plans for the founding of a campus magazine.

April 8:The Tamarack” a literary magazine appears. Maurice Chawke, editor, Jos J. Murphy, S.J., faculty moderator.  89 copies of the first issue sold to students.

May 12: First Skinner Debate. Medal won by John A. Davis.

December 27: Reverend James G. Foley, S.J. installed as president.

 

1899:

March 17: Reverend Michael P. Dowling installed as president.

June 14: First Field Day at Bois Blanc.

 

First Graduating Class

Dowling Hall

Description

Loading  Loading...

Tip