- Burton, Clarence. The City of Detroit Michigan, 1701-1922 Vol. II 1922.
- Burton, Clarence. History of Detroit 1780-1850: financial and commerical. 1917
- City of Detroit : Journal of the Common Council from January 13, 1874 to January 12, 1875
- The Charter of the City of Detroit with Amendments Thereto and the Acts of the Legislature relating to or affecting the City of Detroit. 1904
- Detroit Illustrated: the commercial metropolis of Michigan, containing a detailed statement of its bracing climate, wonderful resources and capablities: its origin and history; interspersed with illustrations of its fine public and private buildings. Harr
- Farmer, Silas. All About Detroit: an illustrated guide, map, and historical souvenir, with local stories 1899..
- Farmer, Silas. History of Detroit and Wayne County and Early Michigan: a chronological cyclopedia of the past and present. 1890
- Guide to the Streets, Street Pavements, Street Car Routes and House Numbers of Detroit with other Interesting Information. 1905
- Leake, Paul. History of Detroit: a chronicle of its progress, its industries, its institutions, and the people of the fair city of the straits. Vol. 1. 1912
- Leake, Paul. History of Detroit: chronicle of its progress, its industries, its institutions, and the people of the fair city of the straits. Vol. II. 1912
- Leonard, John William. The Industries of Detroit: historical, descriptive, and statistical: her relations as a center of trade, manufacturing establishments and business houses. 1887
- Manual of the Common Council Together with a List of Officers of the City of Detroit for the Year 1873
- Marquis, Albert Nelson. The Book of Detroiters: a biographical dictionary of leading living men of the City of Detroit. 2nd rev. ed. 1914
Concise biographical sketches of leading business men in Detroit in 1914. Not comprehensive--the entries were solicited by the publisher.
- Mitchell, James L. Detroit in History and Commerce; a careful compilation of the history, mercentile and manufacturing interests of Detroit; illustrated with the views of the city's principle streets, points of interest, prominent buildings and its noted
- Samman, George P. Market Survey of the City of Detroit. 1918
"This treatise aims to set forth a practical working basis for the establishing of both wholesale and retail public markets in the City of Detroit."
These are a small selection:
- Darden, Joe T. Detroit, Race and Uneven Development. 1987
- Dunnigan,Brian. Frontier Metropolis: picturing early Detroit. 2001
- Fine, Sidney. Violence in the Model Ciry: the Cavanagh adminstration, race relations, and the Detroit Riot of 1967. 2007
- Farmer, Silas. History of Detroit and Wayne County and Early Michigan: a chronological cyclopedia of the past and present. 3rd rev. ed. 1890
- Holli, Melvin G. Reform in Detroit: Hazen S. Pingree and Urban Politics. 1969
- Katzman, David. Before the Ghetto: Black Detroit in the Nineteenth century. 1973.
- Mason, Phillip. Rumrunning and the Roaring Twenties: prohibition on the Michigan-Ontario Waterway. 1995
- Sugrue, Thomas. The Origins of the Uban Crisis: race and inequality in postwar Detroit. 1996.
- Thomas, Richard. Life for Us is What We Make It: building Black community in Detroit, 1915-1945.
- Vinyard, JoEllen. For Faith and Fortune: the education of Catholic immigrants in Detroit, 1805-1925. 1998
- Woodfrod, Arthur. This is Detroit, 1701-2001. 2001
- Zunz, Oliver. The Changing Face of Inequality: urbanization, industrial development, and immigrants in Detroit, 1880-1920. 1982.